National Vital Statistics Reports (released June 20, 2012) pdf
Abortion Death of Minority Babies
- In 2008 Black women received 30% of the abortions even though African Americans are only 12.6% of the national population.3
- Black babies die from abortion at a rate of nearly 1,000 per day.4
Abortion Also Disproportionately Impacts the Hispanic Community
Hispanic Death Toll (2008):
300,000 Surgical Abortions
+ 139,241 Deaths from “all other causes,” excluding abortions
439,241 Total Hispanic Deaths
- In 2008, Hispanic women received 25% of the abortions even though Hispanics are only 16.3% of the population.
- Hispanic babies die from abortion at a rate of over 800 per day.
Combined Black and Hispanic Abortion Totals (2008):
360,000 Black Surgical Abortions (30% of the U.S. Abortions)
+ 300,000 Hispanic Surgical Abortions (25% of the U.S. Abortions)
660,000 Combined Black and Hispanic Abortions
- Blacks and Hispanics only make up a 28.9% combined portion of the U.S. population, but account for a 55% combined portion of the abortions in the U.S.
- Guttmacher Institute, Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States, August 2011 ↩
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Vital Statistics Reports, Volume 60, Number 6, June 6, 2012; Table 1. ↩
- Guttmacher Institute, Facts on Induced Abortion in the United States, August 2011. ↩
- Ibid. ↩